In Michigan, health systems like Spectrum Health are getting reports from patients and Priority Health members that they are receiving calls from individuals pretending to be from Spectrum Health or Priority Health.
Callers try to extract personal information such as member numbers and other protected health information. These calls are a scam called “vishing,” where the caller will use flattery and threats to pressure individuals into giving them information, money and even access to personal devices. These fake phone calls can even “spoof” caller ID and appear to be from a Spectrum Health phone number.
Here are some things to look out for and tips to avoid a “vishing” scam:
- Know that asking for private information, money and access to personal devices are NOT questions a health system or insurance company like Priority Health would ask in a legitimate call.
- Best practice is always to be wary of any unexpected call from your health care provider or health insurance plan provider.
- Anyone receiving such a call should hang up and call their provider or health plan to confirm if there is a legitimate need for the information requested. (Priority Health members can connect with Customer Service in a variety of ways here.)
- Tips to avoid giving out personal information to the wrong person:
- Never share account passwords or temporary verification codes with anyone.
- Do not provide personal information such as birthdate, social security number or home address.
- Do not confirm your employment or your personal information.
- Do not give out any financial information.
- Ask for the name of the person calling and a number to call back. Scammers won’t provide a valid number that would allow you to call back.
- If you do receive a vishing call, you should report it to the FCC Consumer Complaint Center as an Unwanted Call Complaint.
- If you are a Priority Health member or Spectrum Health patient and think you may have mistakenly given out information about your health records or your account, you should contact Spectrum Health App Support as soon as possible at (877) 308-5083.